This document refers to personal data, which is defined as information concerning any living person (a natural person who hereafter will be called the Data Subject) that is not already in the public domain. This privacy notice is to be read by the responsible adult attending with a patient under 16, and by the patient himself/herself if the patient is over 15 or by a nominated adult. Please ask your physiotherapist if you would like a copy to take away with you.
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) which is EU wide and far more extensive than its predecessor the Data Protection Act, along with the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR), seek to protect and enhance the rights of EU data subjects. These rights cover the safeguarding of personal data, protection against the unlawful processing of personal data and the unrestricted movement of personal data within the EU and its storage within the EEA.
1 – Ilkley Physiotherapy is based at 1, Queen’s Gardens, Ilkley, West Yorkshire LS29 9QN and provides physiotherapy at your home or at a mutually agreed venue.
2 – Who we are
The physiotherapists working within Ilkley Physiotherapy treat neurological conditions in children and adults. Treatments are carried out in accordance with the ‘Chartered Society of Physiotherapy’ patient charter. All physiotherapists are members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy, and are registered with the Health & Care Professionals Council.
3 – Personal Data
For the purposes of assessment and treatment, Physiotherapists may require detailed medical information. We will only collect what is relevant and necessary for your treatment. When we visit you, we will make notes which may include details concerning your medication, treatment and other issues affecting your health. This data is always held securely, is not shared with anyone not involved in your treatment, although for data storage purposes it may be handled by pre-vetted staff who have all signed an integrity and confidentiality agreement.
To be able to process your personal data it is a condition of any treatment that you give your explicit consent to allow your physiotherapist to document and process your personal medical data. Contact details provided by you such as telephone numbers, email addresses, postal addresses may be used to invoice you, remind you of future appointments and provide reports or other information concerning your treatment.
As part of our obligations as primary healthcare practitioners there may be circumstances related to your treatment, on-going care or medical diagnosis that will require the sharing of your medical records with other healthcare practitioners e.g GPs, consultants, surgeons and/or medical insurance companies. Where this is required we will always inform you first unless we are under a legal obligation to comply. Ilkley Physiotherapy will only collect the information needed so that we can provide you with the services you require – the business does not sell or broker your data.
4 – Legal basis for processing any personal data
- To meet our contractual obligations as a healthcare provider, in line with the law relating to ‘Special Category Data’, Article 9(2)(h)
- ‘Legitimate interest’ to respond to enquiries concerning the services provided.
5 – Disclosure
Ilkley Physiotherapy will keep your personal information safe and secure. Only staff engaged in providing your treatment will have access to your patient records, although our administration team may require access to your contact details so that they can forward invoices. Ilkley Physiotherapy will not disclose your Personal Information unless compelled to, in order to meet legal obligations, regulations or valid governmental requests. The practice may also enforce its Terms and Conditions, including investigating potential violations of its Terms and Conditions to detect, prevent or mitigate fraud or security or technical issues; or to protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of its staff.
6 – Retention Policy
Ilkley Physiotherapy will process personal data during the duration of any treatment and will continue to store only the personal data needed until the patient reaches 25 years old or for 8years if an adult, to meet our legal obligations. After this all personal data will be deleted, unless basic information needs to be retained by us to meet our future obligations to you, such as erasure details.
7 – Data storage
All Data is held in the United Kingdom. Ilkley Physiotherapy does not store personal data outside the EEA.
8 – Your rights as a data subject
At any point whilst Ilkley Physiotherapy are in possession of, or processing your personal data, all data subjects have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you.
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for some of the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing.
- Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right not to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
In the event that Ilkley Physiotherapy refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why, which you have the right to legally challenge. At your request Ilkley Physiotherapy can confirm what information it holds about you and how it is processed.
9 – You can request the following information:
- Identity and the contact details of the person or organisation that has determined how and why to process your data.
- Contact details of the data protection officer, where applicable.
- The purpose of the processing as well as the legal basis for processing.
- If the processing is based on the legitimate interests of Ilkley Physiotherapy and information about these interests.
- The categories of personal data collected, stored and processed.
- Recipient(s) or categories of recipients that the data is/will be disclosed to.
- How long the data will be stored.
- Details of your rights to correct, erasure, restrict or object to such processing.
- How to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority (ICO).
- Whether the provision of personal data is a statutory or contractual requirement, or a requirement necessary to enter into a contract, as well as whether you are obliged to provide the personal data and the possible consequences of failing to provide such data.
- The source of personal data if it wasn’t collected directly from you.
- Any details and information of automated decision making, such as profiling, and any meaningful information about the logic involved, as well as the significance and expected consequences of such processing.
10 – To access what personal data is held, identification will be required
Ilkley Physiotherapy will accept the following forms of identification (ID) when information on your personal data is requested: a copy of your driving licence, passport, birth certificate and a utility bill not older than three months. A minimum of one piece of photographic ID listed above and a supporting document is required. If we are dissatisfied with the quality, further information may be sought before personal data can be released.
All requests should be made to Jane Bryant – Director, Ilkley Physiotherapy by phoning 01943 816836 or writing to us at the address below.
11 – Complaints
In the event that you are dissatisfied with how your personal data is being processed by Ilkley Physiotherapy, you have the right to complain to us. If you do not get a response within 30 days, you can complain to the ICO.
The details for each of these contacts are:
Jane Bryant (Ilkley Physiotherapy): 1, Queen’s Gardens, Ilkley, LS29 9QN
Telephone: 01943 816836
ICO: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113